As further evidence that the Geek Squad provides the best pickings for tomorrow’s Navy, we turn to the latest news out of the Naval Academy.
For the Class of 2015, cyberwarfare and cybersecurity will be right up there with the traditional instruction of all things nautical. This shouldn’t come as a surprise to the latest gaggle of plebes. Most spent their elementary recess periods pecking away on a computer, so they get it.
For the older salts who are scratching their heads, realize that the Navy righly recognizes cyberwarfare is arguably the greatest threat facing the modern military. This understanding has long been a part of the Naval Postgraduate School curriculum. The Navy also embraces the technology like no other. Consider this:
- Its newest ships will have more computers and fewer sailors. Just check out this story.
- The Navy has reorganized the OPNAV staff by consolidating Naval Intelligence (N2) and Communications and Networks (N6) into a super cool, techno-savvy brainiac commune called Information Dominance (N2/N6). These are the folks who defend and manage Navy networks and the information transported and contained therein.
- Fleet Cyber Command and 10th Fleet are up and running and provide central operational authority for Navy cyberspace operations afloat and ashore.
- Even the lawyers are in on this action, as the JAG established a division to focus on the laws and policies regarding cyberspace and intelligence operations.
- Tens of thousands of sailors and officers now wear the Information Dominance Warfare pin — and that’s just the beginning. The Navy is putting a concerted effort into the recruiting, retention and development of personnel in information-centric disciplines such as intelligence, information technology, information warfare, oceanography and space cadre personnel.
Indeed, today’s geeks are tomorrow’s warriors. So if you want your kids to follow in your footsteps with a Navy career, don’t worry if they choose a computer club over a camping trip. Chances are it will get them faster promotions and bigger bonuses when they join Big Navy.